Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Softball

Tuesday, April 6 – Today at softball we had our game in Nantucket. We arrived at the field and began stretching out but we did not have a lot of time to devote to warming up began we had to start the game almost immediately. We did not do very well in this game because it was our first real varsity game and we were unprepared for the amount of skill required to play the other team. However, I thought that even in this game I was a great improvement in the whole team from last year. We were much more organized in our fielding and a lot of players made some very good hits. I myself did fairly well as catcher and I felt confident that, even though I had some things to work on, I would do well this year. I also made some very good hits and got on base all times I was up to bat. I do need to work on catching ground balls behind the plate.

Wednesday, 7 – I did not come to Softball today because I had to study for two very important mock exams.

Thursday, 8 – Today at Softball practice I got a chance to really start practicing my catching skills. First we stretched out and we did our running drills around the bases. Then we broke into partners and threw the ball around to warm up our arms. Then the coaches told me that I should practice catching grounders as a catcher while the rest of the team practiced batting. They said I should do a little batting practice first though, so I did some warm up swings and went to the plate. I did well with the pitches that were fair but most of the pitches thrown by the coach were poor because he was out of practice. I hit a few really good ones into the outfield and the rest were grounders. Then I got the catcher’s equipment on and started practicing with the different pitchers. I caught three different pitchers and it was good to get used to all the different ways in which they threw. Some threw harder than others and some threw faster than other. I also asked them each specifically to give me a few grounders to practice with. I did not do well at first but after some extensive practice I managed to get the hang of dropping to my knees and stopping the ground balls. I did this for the rest of practice.

Friday, 9 – We were supposed to have a Softball game today but it got cancelled due to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment