Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Habitat

Tuesday, March 30 – Today will be the last day of my work at the Habitat for Humanity office because I will not be able to attend Habitat next Tuesday. The next step after this is to participate in one of the builds on one of the Cape Cod sites. I will be doing this on Saturday April 10 because this is the first date on which the builds open. Today at the office I finished the applications I have been processing for the last few weeks. I worked very efficiently and was able to complete 12 applications in one day which is the most I have ever done. I also learned a few new things about the computer such as how to delete entire files and multiple files at once. This came in handy because I accidentally made a file that already existed in the system and I had to get rid of it. I also learned that there is an extra tab on the data entry page that allows me to search all of the information in the system to make sure I do not repeat any input. I successfully completed all the applications on my last day.

Tuesday, April 6 – Today I could not come to Habitat because I had a game in Nantucket.

Saturday, 10 – Today I went to the Dennis build for Habitat for Humanity and participated in beginning to build a home for a family in need. I was very excited to be going and while I was there I learned a lot of valuable skills about carpentry and contracting. I was not able to do too much because I had no experience in carpentry but I listened to the experts who gave me lessons on some of the basics of carpentry and even some of the finer details about the craft. My job for the majority of the day was hammering nails into boards to create the walls for the inferior of the house. I was not very good at first and I broke a lot of the nails but then I was able to get the technique behind it and I successfully hammered the rest of the nails in. I also helped to a little bit of painting because the walls I had hammered needed to be primed as well. This took up the rest of the time and then I went home. I had a lot of fun and I learned some valuable skills. Being at this build also made me think about the family the house was being built for and I was pleased to be doing something to help them in their time of need. I realized what a big issue homelessness is on Cape Cod and from what others were saying it sounded like it was a global issue as well. I was glad to be doing my part to help even just a little with such a large problem. I am definitely going to come back to the next build but this will be my last entry about habitat for CAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment