Thursday, April 1, 2010

Creative Writing

Thursday, March 11 – Today in Creative Writing Club we read a poem by one of our very talented members. She is by far my favorite person to hear from in the club because I really enjoy her style of writing and I think she is very good. Today she submitted a poem about a clown giving out balloons to children at a carnival but in the poem he does not have enough balloons for everyone and he has to choose which kids to give them to. In the end he decides not to give a balloon to an ugly kid because he assumes that is what someone else would do but he feels guilty and apologizes to the kid in his mind. I really enjoyed the poem because I thought it was an interesting statement on how cruel humans can be and how they exercise the idea of survival of the fittest. We talked for a while about it and I said that not only did I like the meaning behind it but I was really impressed with the how well she used language to her advantage in the poem and I said I could definitely learn a few things from her writing.

Thursday, 18 – Today in creative writing we had a submission form one of our members that was very personal to her. We read it and I found it was difficult to understand and I did not really know what it was suppose to be about but I still really enjoyed it. When we went to talk about it I expressed this opinion and said even though I didn’t understand it, it was still really enjoyable because the language she used was so rich and descriptive I felt it almost made the whole poem. I said it was like ear candy and that was extremely pleasing to the senses. She told us afterward that the poem was based on a personal family matter and although she didn’t go into detail we could pretty much figure out for ourselves what that meant. It was still a very good poem.

Thursday, 25 – Today in creative writing we looked at two things, The first was a poem by my favorite member of the club and I was again blown away by her talent and told her she should go professional. I didn’t really know what this one was about but I still loved all the techniques she used in the poem like diction, structure, and rhyme. I said told her it was probably my favorite poem of hers that we had read so far. Next we actually looked at something of mine. It was a book of poems that I had one a spot in in a contest a few years ago. I had actually written the poem in the sixth grade but I had submitted it to the contest in my sophomore year of high school and I still won a place in this book. I told the group it was bad poem because I had written it when I was young but that I had wanted them to see the book of poetry because I thought they would find it cool. They said they thought it was pretty good, especially for a sixth grader, and they said that compared to the other poems in the book it looked really good. I thought that was funny. Also my supervisor said he really liked the fact that it was written in a traditional fashion that is rarely seen in modern poetry. I was really pleased to hear these things.

Thursday, April 1 – Today I could not come to Creative Writing Club because my supervisor was being duck taped to a pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment